Saturday, January 6, 2024

Blessing backfired

It's been an exciting day and a half. 30 minutes before leaving for the airport, our group of 4 travelers finds out our flight from Amsterdam to Dar es Salaam was canceled.  John scrambled to get us rebooked, but we had to split up. John & Solveig together and Jaci & I together. It's OK (we thought) we can do this.

Once Jaci & I arrive in London, we have to figure out Heathrow airport. I'm sure it's fine if you land & stay in London, but if you have a connection to another terminal - ugh! The bus system takes you to a central drop-off point where you take a 2nd bus to get to your terminal. Each trip takes at least 15 minutes plus the wait time for each bus. No worries - we got this. Jaci & I get to T4 where we have to go through security. Why? You may ask - I don't know. We have not even passed a shop of any kind since leaving T3. It was hallways, escalators, and busses- that's  it. But maybe we picked up some contraband - who knows?

We get through security, make 2 quick stops for the 'loo' and coffee and head to our gate. As we try to check-in for our boarding passes something is wrong ... but the gate agents don't say what. All we get is 'I have to check with my supervisor' and 'please wait'. Less than 30 minutes before take-off, we find out Jaci is good to go; but my reservation and ticket number are 'not properly linked' [please read that in your best British accent for full effect]. I am instantly contacting Delta via phone & text. The text agent says everything looks good on their end, but the gate agent still won't give me a boarding pass & directs me back to T3. Meanwhile, I send Jaci on alone while I continue trying to call Delta.

I start making my way back to T3, and after 30 minutes I get an agent on the phone. She agrees with the text agent - my ticket was fine, but that plane has left so we proceed with finding me another way to Dar. I get back to the transfer bus stop but decide to wait there because it seems like I may still get a flight out of T4. On instinct, I head back to T4 but I wait until I'm sure I have a ticket before getting in the security line. Within 15 minutes of getting back to T4, the agent has found me a path: Heathrow 》Amsterdam 》Nairobi 》Dar es Salaam. There is only 1 problem- the flight to Amsterdam leaves in 30 minutes and I have to get through security with no boarding pass. The Delta ticket agent was a saint for staying on the line with me while I go through T4 security (for the 2nd time in less than 3 hours). While going through, the AMS flight gets delayed by 15 min - hallelujah for small miracles! I get to the gate, check in, and voila! I have a boarding pass (with seat assignments) for my next 3 flights.

After arriving in Amsterdam, I prioritize my next tasks: change flight from Dar to Iringa to 1/8, find a hotel room, update the travel group & my family on my status. On my way to the hotel shuttle, I stop to buy a warm hat because I do not have Amsterdam weather clothing in my carry-on luggage. 


The shuttle wait was long & cold, but I warm up with complimentary tea as soon as I get to the hotel. I have a very American dinner of burgers & fries, then relax in the hotel bar with some wine.


Now it's time for bed so I can get back to the airport by 8am.

Let's hope the next leg of the trip goes better than the first.

See you all in Ilula on Monday! janet

No comments:

Post a Comment

Winding Down

 Karibu!  Wow, it's hard to believe we only have 2 more days at the hospital and start our travel back Friday morning. I really can'...